Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Grab your bags, we are traveling...


My husband took me away to Stonington, Connecticut for a quick get -a -way....
All I had in my purse to draw with was a pen, and a few colored pencils...so, this is a ROUGH sketch of the view from our room!


Yes, It's right on the water, home to Connecticut's last working fishing fleet.  
We stayed at the lovely Inn at Stonington, which you can visit here.
We had wonderful views, of Stonington Harbor and Fischers Island Sound from our deck....and we were  directly across from Skippers Dock, AWESOME chowder right on the water with views of the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic...and mooring facilities for boat tie up!

....
Stonington is a quaint little walking  town with some
GREAT restaurants and shops, a tiny little beach and lots of history...

We did a walking tour of the town and found...

The Old Lighthouse Museum which sits right on the water and was built in 1823.

Then we strolled down the street and...we sat here at the Dog Watch Cafe ....and had cocktails....
another place....that's right on the water





and we had some of the BEST Mexican food at Milagro, which you can visit here
and out of sight oysters at the Water Street Cafe.

Mystic Village is just a short stop away and we spent one day there, walking around town, visiting all of the little shops and art galleries...just the two of us!

Where did we eat?
Here, at The S&P Oyster Company


a dreary day, but it's still our favorite little spot!

So if you love New England and nautical history, the ocean, and quaint little villages,
check out Stonington, Connecticut and The Inn at Stonington ...

and near by Mystic( ps, when you are with the kids, Mystic is great, too!
The aquarium, museums, and the Argia Cruises, make great family time)

Well, as you can see I ate a lot.....so now it's time to rest!


Have a great day, Heather





4 comments:

Julia Christie said...

What a great little mini-break. I Have always wanted to go to the east coast and these pics just makes me want to more. Your sketch is so cute and I love that you have colored pencils in your purse!

Smiles

NANCY LEFKO said...

Great sketch and a wonderful trip. Have been thinking of a day trip to Mystic this summer (from here in NH) and I will have to look into Stonington as well. Thanks for the info and for visiting my blog :)

Ginger*:) said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog, and for this wonderful travel advice. I will certainly give Stonington CT a visit at some point. It looks like a wonderful place to spend time. And I will pack the sketchbook... thanks for that tip too*:)

Candace Trew Camling said...

pretty! That looks so fabulous! Someday I hope to live near the ocean. I envy people who can just go there for a quick getaway!